Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Bolognese Lasagne

For someone who loves to cook I don't own that many cookbooks. Epicurious.com was started right when I was learning to cook and was a perfect match. I love being able to search through thousands of recipes by selecting the ingredients I would like to use. I don't necessarily have one trusted chef that I go to again and again. I do like referencing certain professionals, but I don't rely on them. So when my mother years ago gave me the Williams-Sonoma Complete Pasta Cookbook, I remember thinking--this thing looks like a coffee table book--it doesn't even fit on my kitchen shelf!--I'll quite likely be sending it to the Goodwill in six months. That's pretty much how I feel about most cookbooks. However, let me be the first to admit I was completely wrong about this book, and all these ten plus years later I still own it. If I want to cook up delicious pasta it is the first place I look for a recipe. So let me share with you the yummy Bolognese Lasagne from our holiday gathering. You will not be disappointed and may want to get a copy of this cookbook for yourself. It might even suit your coffee table.

Bolognese Lasagne
adapted from Williams-Sonoma The Complete Pasta Cookbook
Note: I added Bechamel Sauce, also from this cookbook, to the Lasagne

Make Bechamel Sauce
1/4 cup unsalted butter
2 shallots, peeled and minced
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream
salt
  • In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Add the shallots and saute until they are soft, about 5 minutes.
  • Add the flour and cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes. Do not let it brown. Using a whisk, slowly mix in the milk and cream.
  • Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring frequently, until the sauce thickens, about 8 minutes.
  • Remove from the heat and add salt to taste. Cover, placing plastic wrap over top surface, and refrigerate until ready to use.

Make the Bolognese Sauce
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
1 small carrot, peeled and finely chopped
1 lb (grass-fed!) ground beef
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup dry white wine
3 lb Roma tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced or 28oz canned tomatoes
6 oz canned tomato sauce
ground nutmeg
salt
red pepper flakes

  • In a large heavy frying pan over medium-low heat, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and saute, stirring frequently, until it is translucent about 8 minutes.
  • Add the celery and carrots and saute, stirring frequently for 10 minutes.
  • Add the ground beef, breaking it up with a fork or flat wooden spoon. Saute, stirring frequently, until the beef just loses its pink color.
  • Stir in the milk and simmer until it has evaporated, about 8 minutes.
  • Add the wine and simmer until it has evaporated, about 8 minutes longer.
  • Add the tomatoes, the tomato sauce and nutmeg, salt and red pepper flakes to taste. Increase the heat to medium, stirring, bring the sauce to a simmer then reduce the heat to very low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1-2 1/2 hours (longer is better).

Assemble the Lasagne
4 cups Bolognese Sauce
2 1/2 cups Bechemel Sauce
1 tablespoon salt
Dried Lasagne Noodles (as many as it takes to make six complete layers in your pan)
1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1/4 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • Preheat an oven to 350F. If you have a convection oven, it should be set on Convection Bake, as you want it to circulate heat but also cook from the bottom.
  • Lightly coat the inside of a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with olive oil.
  • In a large pot over high heat, bring 6 quarts of water to a boil. Add the 1 tablespoon salt and the lasagne noodles and cook according to the package directions until al dente, about 10 minutes. Drain, rinse in cool water and drain again. Separate noodles so they do not stick together.
  • Cover the bottom of the baking dish with one layer of lasagne noodles, touching but not overlapping. Make 6 layers of the Bolognese Sauce, Bechemel Sauce, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and noodles, ending with the cheese. Top with the parsley.
  • Bake until the top of the lasagne is golden brown and the sauce is bubbling, 35-45 minutes.
  • To serve, cool for 10 minutes and divide among individual warmed plates.


No comments:

Post a Comment